Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A "Routine" Day

On Monday (June 17) my last foot surgery was scheduled to begin at 12:30 and we were expected at Emanuel Hospital at 10:30 a.m. The original surgery in January was a long day-surgery. And unlike the March ordeal, 5 days in Emanuel's burn unit, this was to be a short day-surgery to flatten the transplant on my foot. Yay!

I started the day early, throwing in laundry, cleaning up the kitchen and fridge, and attempted to finish sewing a quilt top. I planned to fit in a bicycle ride before heading to the hospital at 10, because I didn't know when exercise would be possible again.

Emanuel Hospital called at 8:30 to say they needed me an hour earlier. I was willing to neglect the rest of my chores, but was not about to give up my bike ride, so off I went. It was a cool refreshing morning for a ride, and after a quick shower, we were off to Emanuel only 10 minutes late.

And then we waited. We could have used the hour to finish chores at home, but oh well. I was very relaxed and actually looking forward to this last step towards leading a normal life again. It was amusing to see the same staff on hand as was there for my March surgery. You don't ever want to be on a first name basis with your local hospital staff.

waiting, and waiting, and waiting . . .

The surgery was short and sweet. I took a restful nap in the recovery room. We were home by 3:30. I walked into the house on my own with little pain. Super nice to not have to use those awkward killer crutches! Craig, Daniel and I got dinner on, then I folded and put away the neglected laundry, then sat down to watch Far From the Madding Crowd via Netflix. I re-read the book earlier this year but had never seen the movie.

So Monday turned out to be a rather routine day of chores, with a little surgery thrown in. The best news is that today, day after surgery, I got in an hour of yard-work, and then a bike ride!  Normal life is a great blessing.

NOTE: There are a couple of photos below of my foot before Monday's surgery; don't scroll down unless you want to see them.  There are none yet of post-surgery because I can't remove the bandage for 5 days.


  1. In that last photo, it almost looks like you've had an entire big toe transplanted. Just with the way the skin continues. I'm glad this latest surgery was uneventful. That's the best kind.

  2. I know, that is a skewed photo, it didn't really look that odd. Am anxious to see the final "product" this weekend, the one I've paid (or insurance has paid) close to $100K for.

  3. Modern medicine is amazing. I hope the final recovery is speedy and as comfortable as possible!

  4. Thanks Jeremy. It is amazing, medicine that is, and a blessing we have access to it. 3 days later, still no pain!